me: Hey mom, I need help. I don't know how to [fill in one of many things] will you help me?
Sue: You bet. I'd love to. When?
me: Well, when do you have time?
Sue: Um, today I am leaving [my full-time job] early to take grandpa to a doctors appointment, then I need to drop off the humanitarian kits I just finished, I'm helping your brother in his yard, and I'm making soup for a neighbor, maybe if I skip my exercising, I can do it after that. But I'll probably be watching your sisters kids too.
me: That's ok, what about tomorrow?
Sue: I'm making blankets to send to Nepal, I've got to buy a cell phone for grandma, shoes for grandpa, in the afternoon I'll be at the prison teaching the ladies how to knit, then preparing a lesson. And I've got to finish bottling my tomatoes. But why don't you just let me finish your project. And can I keep your kids so you two can go to a movie? By the way, I found the cutest jammies today I got some for your boys.
Really. Does she even sleep? I remember hearing Sheri Dew talk about the way to know how truly dedicated someone is to following Jesus Christ. It is the way they treat others. Serve others. Love others. My mother is the first who comes to mind. I think I can only hope that one day I am half as wonderful, kind, giving, and selfless as she is. I never question her motives, because she has the purest heart of anyone I know. I feel pretty lucky.
12 comments:
Becky- when you describe your mom, I think of you! Seriously. You don't need to hope anymore. You already are like her.
Whenever I talk to you, you are babysitting someone's kids on top of taking care of your two boys. You take my kids at the last minute when I have funerals to go to (unfortunately I've had a couple in the past year), and take them last minute when I'm moving and you even had another baby you were watching too! Two infants and three toddlers!
You are amazing!
And just a few weeks ago Nate was going to the football game and at the last minute (again) had me come over for a little party at your house so I wouldn't have to spend a Friday night alone with two grumpy girls. You saved me that night.
I'm not just saying all of this. You have always been there for me and are always willing to help others out. :) Now I am the one that needs to hope that I am one day half as giving as you are. :) Love you dearly! Oh yes- and your mother is wonderful. :)
ditto Becky!
and ditto to Stephanie too.
You're so very lucky to have the mom you do...she's a GREAT example to me. And so are you and your sis's. You all make me want to be better!
Your mom IS the best. I'm not even related to her and she's watched my kids several times. You are so blessed to have such a wonderful mother.
Steph - way too generous. Seriously.
Kirk says - This is true. I never remember a time it wasn't this way.
No No- not too generous. I only speak the truth! :)
Well gee whiz, I admit I'm nothing like this and not even close. So.....how do I get on you AND your mom's list?
I love Susan!!! She really is one of the most kind and generous people, and that is definately where you get it!!! Your whole family is great!!!
Amen sister! I feel so blessed to have Susan as my second mom! I always marvel at all she does for others! She has blessed my life in so many ways and I am forever changed because of her! You are just like your mom and too humble to realize it! I love spending time with you and always respect your perspective and opinion. Love you!
You are way to kind in you comments about me Becky, but it made me cry anyway. All the comments made me cry! I had recently said to your Dad, how blessed we are to have such wonderful kids, we must have done something right. I love you all!
Mom
Brett agrees with Becky. I will often meet someone new that knows my parents and they go out of their way to tell me about how wonderful they are. We are lucky to have such good examples, and even luckier to have parents that have served us the way they have.
Post a Comment