Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Good bye, Billy Boys



Farewell. One Billy I will miss, the other I will not. Now that Colton's right side has finally been able to break a tooth through, I know it's just a short matter of time before he no longer looks like a Hill Billy... and I will so miss that sweet Hill Billy smile :(


However, I will not miss the thumb-sucking habit that has given my Buck Tooth Billy his trademark smile. Wyatt has been working on breaking this habit for about almost 2 weeks now. I am amazed at how much self-control he's shown. I guess it was just the right timing! ?
A couple weeks ago, I talked to him about what sucking your thumb does to your teeth and your thumb, then showed him a few pictures of kids teeth that stick out for that reason. I let him pick out the color of a thumb guard to help him break the habit. He was soooo excited! We checked the mail box every day waiting for it to come. When it came, he proudly put it on, showed everyone he saw, and kept it on for almost a whole day! But by the end of the day, I think he was just sick of it. He tore it off his thumb yelling, "I don't want to suck my thumb!!!!" ( It reminded me of Drew Barrymore when she yells, "I'm not Josie Grossie any more!!" on Never Been Kissed. Ha ha...) He was done! I remind him to leave his thumb out of his mouth almost never now. And, call me crazy, but I swear I can see a difference already in his teeth. He is so proud of his accomplishment. And so am I!



5 comments:

Laura W said...

Look how big they are getting! I mean, I've never actually met them, but I still feel like I'm watching them grow up!! Cutie cutes.

Kara said...

I am impressed with you and Wyatt. Good ideas on preparing him for the thumb guard...now I know who to come to for all my parenting dilemmas!

The Briggs said...

Good job Wyatt!!!

Dubb Days said...

Oh his smile will continue to be jsut as cute! And good job for Wyatt! Stopping the thumb is no fun--I am impressed with his self control as well! AS I am impressed with you Becky and your new homemaking skills (checking out your other blog!) Good for you. Someday I hope to aspire higher:)

Angie said...

Good job Mamma! Victory!