Wednesday, May 4, 2011

We were awakened at about 3:00 this morning, and after our little cuties went back to sleep, it didn't take long for me to realize I was NOT going back to sleep. So many thoughts kept swirling around in my mind, and I thought maybe writing some of them down would help them get out - so I could go back to sleep. Exactly a year ago, at 12:05 AM, my grandma passed away. It kind of marked the start of a very challenging year for us. We have had so many ups and downs.

After my grandmother unexpectedly passed away, my grandfather soon followed. And when Tyson started graduate school, and I received a totally awesome but intensive calling we became busier and busier... and kind of thought we were good to go for a while, as far as challenges go. We were pretty set. Without sharing every detail of every "down" since then (no, really, I am leaving plenty out), Tyson lost his job, my grandparents house was emptied & sold, I went back to work, and soon after, an uncle passed away. I wonder if this roller coaster would ever flat-line! It might not. But that's ok, because I am thinking of all those ups, and all of the growth we have had in the last year. So much has happened, and we have learned so much. Tyson and I have both grown and developed independently, as well as in our marriage. We have both progressed as parents, professionally, mentally, and spiritually. Even our boys' have changed, become more helpful and happy. We enjoy them so much, I'm excited to just spend time with them! I feel like we are kind of different people than we were a year ago.

I think it appropriate to list, at this anniversary of a year full of growth and learning, some of the incredible things I may not have realized without all those "downs" in there.

- Criticizing people is less helpful than finding strengths in them to admire and aspire to.
- You choose to learn from it or dwell on it. Go ahead and forgive, because dwelling makes you unhappy. Why choose that? I'd definitely rather be happy.
- I love my kids more than girl's nights and book clubs.
- Being right is less important than being nice.
- Without the challenges and stressors in our lives, we will not progress.
- The more you sacrifice, the more you love. Serving people is a sure way to increase your love for them.
- My sweetheart really is a sweetheart. And quite possibly the best dad in the universe.
- Sometimes the "right" thing to do doesn't have the outcome it should! That doesn't take away the fact that you know it was the right decision. I guess it just means that you or someone else must have gained something important from that decision.
- Time flies.
- Kids break things, ruin stuff, and turn off refrigerators. Oh well.
- There is a "letter of the law" and a "spirit of the law". Both are important, but not equally.
- The friends you choose do impact your life. I am so thankful for the incredible friends that inspire me for good.
- Life begins and ends with family.
- Don't park in anyone else's parking spot. Really, it's just not worth the risk of being towed.
- We don't judge those in need or think they got "what they deserved". It's really not our place. We serve all those in need, regardless of your opinion on their previous choices.
- I wouldn't trade my challenges for others'. No way.
- If you're not getting the answers to the questions you seek. Just hold on! This is probably a lesson in patience. The answer will eventually reveal itself by all other possibilities just eliminating themselves. And honestly, isn't it sometimes easier to go with the only option rather than having to decide between 5 or 6? Yes..... just wait.
- I have an incredible dad. What a pleasure getting to know him in this different sphere.
- My way isn't better. Its just my way.
- The handbook has all the answers. Seriously.
- Don't complain about your kids. The person you are complaining to may just wish they could have some at all.

Well, I've learned a lot. I guess it may have been a successful year after all. :) Miss you, grandma.

12 comments:

StephNyd said...

Yes, you have had quite the year. I want this one to be less crazy for you. :)
"Kids break things, ruin stuff, and turn off refrigerators. Oh well".....love it! It's so true and it's inevitable that those things will happen, isn't it? Just curious...which one turned off the fridge? ;)

Love you Beck. :)

Cher said...

That was a great way to start my day. Thank you! I think everyone needs to print that out and hang it on the fridge.

Jessica said...

Thanks for this post Becky! It has been a tough year for me as well, in very different ways, but VERY much appreciate your perspective and insights. You are an amazing person.

susan said...

I was so moved by your words and your ability to express yourself-you never cease to amaze me. I shared your comments with Sally (a girl I work with) who asked for a copy (she wants to share it with her daughter who is facing some challenges). Your perspective and what you learn from life and it's challanges is intuitive for us all. We are all here to learn and grow, but often don't realize what we are learning and how we are growing, your insights have summed up a year of growth beautifully. Thank you for sharing your perspective and insights with us all.

derekandjulie said...

Becky, I love you! You are the best person I know. I am so glad you shared that. It is good to recognize the "highs" we have especially when the "lows" seem so overwhelming.

Dubb Days said...

oh Becky Becky Becky. Love this and Love you! I learned things from reading this post, so thank you!

Love you and hope you have a less stressful, yet learningful (yep it is my word--our English teacher would be proud) year.

Kara said...

Thanks Becky for sharing. Sometimes those middle of the night reviews of life are when we see the most clearly. I love everything you put. And I second Holly-less stress, but still learningful year:) ahead!

Thom's Favorite Stuff said...

More important than book club?

Angie said...

Becky I love it! I hope you didn't have school the next day you sweet lady. You are a wonderful woman, mother, sister, friend, teacher, president, wife, and daughter. I admire and love you. I am in awe at all you do and I thank you for your Christ-like example. Love you Miss Becky!

Emily & Rayden said...

Hi Becky. I really enjoyed reading this. Thank you. I love ya.

Rebecca said...

You are awesome Becky!! And such an example to everyone.

And I'm so happy I found your blog! :) Mine's private jacobnrebecca.blogspot.com but I can send ya an invite if ya'd like.

Sommer said...

You are one wise woman... glad you are my friend!