Thursday, August 28, 2008

Movin' on up

Our little guy is such a toddler now! (Sniff sniff) He's getting so big, smart, sweet, and funny. Anyway, I'll get to the point.

We set up Wyatt's little toddler bed a couple weeks ago...

He's loving it! He climbs under the quilt and snuggles in.

I went in his room once and found the bed like this...

He took his little pillow from the tiny chair it normally sits on (below), and placed it nicely on his bed - letters up, and all. I thought it was rather clever.



After a long adventurous day, Wyatt fell asleep in the car, and we put him right in his bed (Along with the cute squishy cow Grandma Johnson bought him that day - he loves it and has never slept without it since! Thanks, Grandma!)
I know, he looks dead. That's because he really was. For several hours.


Wouldn't it be cool if the story ended there? Like, he suddenly sleeps like a baby in a big boy bed and we all lived happily ever after? I really just want him to get used to it being in his room, and want to sleep there. Which he really does! He chooses the bed over his crib! But he I can't leave the room without him chasing me out the door saying "Mom! Lay down!" or grabbing a book on the way and saying, "Book! Book!" So, I have to tell him to if he gets out, he has to sleep in his crib - where he sleeps each night. This is totally fine with me. But, here's the question for you professionals. Should I just wait until he's ready to do it himself? Or [be mean and] shut the door and let him cry and fall asleep wherever he ends up? He's only 19 months... but we do sort of have a time constituent here. I really don't want him to feel like someone has kicked him out of his crib in a few months here... like February or March. Advice?

21 comments:

The Harveys said...

Wyatt is such a smart boy, chair on a bed?! Who would have ever thought...Listen- I'm just as curious as you to see what people say because my two-year old still sleeps in a crib.

C.J. and Jackie said...

Becky Pants!!! Are you saying you are pregnant? Oh I sure hope so, how exciting! When I was reading the beginning of your post, I was wondering to myself when another cute Taylor would come.

As for your advice question, I just don't know. I haven't had to do it yet. But I do know that Kelly hated sleeping in her bed and everynight she would go crawl in my parents bed. So finally my parents started locking their bedroom door so she couldn't get in and they would find her on the floor every morning by their door. Eventually she got the hint and would go back to her bed.

Laura W said...

Waaaaaaiiiiiiiit a second, I may not be a detective, but I sense there is more to the story here ... :) Tee hee. Fun! Um, I'm not a pro in this field by any means since it took Ari a long time to enjoy sleeping in her bed, so I will just forgo the advice and not screw you up more. :)

StephNyd said...

Umm.. are you saying you NEED your crib for someone else come February or March? Hmm? Also, we just bought Layce a toddler bed very similar to yours yesterday. She loves it and calls her self "Me Big". But she had a very hard time sleeping in it last night. She fell out of it twice. It does have side bars and it's super low to the ground, but she managed to fall of it anyway. We thought it was time for a big bed for her since she is almost 26 months old. I hope she will sleep in it. (cross my fingers) She sleeps so well in her crib for bedtime and naps and I don't want that to stop. Hannah was a breeze moving into a big girl bed. I wish this were the same. Let me know how it goes with him! :)

Dubb Days said...

Yah! Congrats Beck! Way to just sneak that info in there! You realize we are going to need details now, right!!
As far as the bed thing goes, I am torn. If you let him fuss it out now, he will forget about that part come February, but if you wait and then HAVE to let him fuss it out when there is a new baby in town it will be alot more dramatic I think. Maybe give it a few weeks, see if he gets better if not, I say bring on the tears, unfortunaly:) But that is just my opinion!! Love you!

The Briggs said...

Well, whatever you find out let me know! Good luck and your both great parents and will figure out what works for Wy! love ya!!!

melbel said...

hehehe, I had to read it like twice to catch on. Congrats!

StephNyd said...

WAHOO for Becky!!! She's having another BABY!!!! Can't wait to meet this new addition to your family next March!!! YEAH!!!! I love you Beck!

Brittany said...

Very sly there...I almost didn't catch it. Good thing I have been waiting for you to post something about it! Congrats! We are very excited for you guys!

Danielle said...

Yipee...awesome! Now I understand why Lagoon's rides were off limits for you. Hope you're feeling well...and as for the advice, I have no idea! I'm horrible when it comes to letting them cry. Good luck, may you be stronger than me.

Connie said...

Could that awesome quilt be from his most awesome Aunt Liz???

Becca said...

Congratulations!! I don't have any advice on the toddler bed, but when you figure it out, let me know!

Katie said...

Congratulations!!! Alicia slipped me the news last week, so I have been waiting for the official announcement. I hope you are feeling okay. It is no fun to be sick and have a toddler to take care of!!!:)

htasker said...

You are sneaky at this announcement business...congrats!!!! When we put Griffin in his big boy bed we put it in a new room, let him pick his bedding, and made a HUGE deal about it so he was excited, and it worked. We didnt go back after we made the change, and the first few nights we had to sit by him on the floor until he fell asleep, but it didnt take longuntil he was on his own. Good luck! It's a tough transition.

The Harveys said...

Oh my, I look like a big fat awful friend for not saying Congratulations!! I'm sorry, I thought I read something earlier announcing the new baby on the way-then I realized it was someone else's blog, my mistake. I'm so excited for you, seriously. P.S. Thanks for all of your help at the sale forever ago.

Jensons said...

Sorry it has taken me so long to say congratulation! I am very excited for you guys. Talk to you soon!

Kalisa

Nella said...

SWEET!!! I was thinking it was about time for you. :) I think you're doing things just right with Wyatt. I think its important to change out the for the bed a few months before the baby comes. It'll work out soon enough and he'll get used to it.

Kara said...

YEA!!!! Congrats to you guys! I am really happy for you! When we were expecting katelee we worried about the same thing with Grant. We put him in a bed 2 months before she was scheduled to arrive and the first couple of nights we just had to shut the door and put a toddler lock on the inside cuz he could open doors then. Grant was good after 2 nights. YEA FOR A NEW BABY!!

The Shill Spill said...

Congrats Becky...I think. :) I do hope that is what you are implying too, or else I will feel quite sheepish. :)
You know, we put Jake in a big boy bed a month after he turned two. (To make room for our little Carson.) I let him choose for a while, and when he started coming out I threated the crib. (Which he did not want to be in.) It probably took about a week or so, after I decided that is where he was going to sleep for good. It even took a VERY long night of no sleep and lots and lots of crying for him to get the picture. I even ended up putting a gate in the door way if he ever opened the door, and then took it down when I went to bed...for safety reasons. He learned very quickly. (Total of about a week and a half of reminding and guiding my little one back to bed.)
But, here's my advice...it's all up to when YOU are ready. It's just like potty training, if you (as mom) are not ready, then he will sense that and feed off of the security he already has in his crib. Chidren like limits, however weird that may sound sometimes, but it's true. Let him know what you expect of him (when the time comes to sleep in the bed full time) and stick with it. Boundaries and consistancy is what our little ones thrive on. It's how they know how to live.
So, pick a date, tell him all about it, help him be ready, make it exciting, and stick with it. Even when the going gets tough.(That's just my advice...from a novice bachelors degree in FHD.) I am sure this is EXACTLY just want you needed to hear too, huh?
Anyhow, congrats once again. I am super excited for you. Good luck with all the bed time fun. :)

stephanie said...

I have the twin to your cowboy quilt! My advice is to NOT close the door and make him cry. I would stay and read to him so he can relax. I did that w/ oldest and I don't regret it--once you have more kids you don't have the luxury to spend that bedtime together.

Liz said...

I'm sure I would have great advice if I knew, but since I still wake up to 3 extra kids in my bed some mornings, and you wake up to 3 extra kids in your bed when you keep my kids for me, you probably weren't even asking for my advice..ha ha
Also, that is a very fancy quilt. What a nice aunt...oh ya that's me..ha ha
Last but not least....I think I was in on this whole baby thing pretty early on, so everyone... welcome to the party!