Sunday, January 4, 2009

Mother of the Year

I always knew the day would come when I would lose track of kids, be unable to control them, and do very motherly absent-minded things... but I always that that day would be when I have many kids to chase. Not just one.

Last night, I made cookies. While they were baking, I was washing the dishes, and Wyatt (maybe 2 feet from me) unlocked the safety strap we put on the oven, grabbed a dish towel to use for a hot pad and reached in to take the cookies out of the oven. When did I realize he was doing this dangerous task? Not until he said, "HOT!" and backed away from the oven. Luckily, he refused to cry because knew he shouldn't have been opening the oven in the first place. But he kept holding his hand, and I could see the burn - so I could tell it really hurt.

Because of the burn on Wyatt's hand, I gave him a dose of Ibuprofen to make sure it wasn't going to keep him awake at bed time. I turned to wash the medicine dropper out, and turned back around to see Wy holding the entire bottle of medication up to his mouth, and trying to finish it off. Holy cow, did this not just happen? How can I be right there and not even know what he's up to??? I am definitely rethinking this whole 2nd child thing, since I apparently can't effectively watch ONE.

12 comments:

StephNyd said...

Oh Becky! I'm sorry all of that happened. But, don't worry, those things have happened to the best of us. I've had PLENTY of incidents like those occur and yes I felt like the worst mother ever. I don't think you are a bad mother at all though. And for rethinking the whole 2nd child thing....um, too late for that my dear. :)

StephNyd said...

Oh yes, one more thing. As far as the money goes that I have been saving for the past year for a pro camera- it acutally bought this one so I don't have that money any more. I was saving up for a D90 and it costs a lot. But the D60 is less expensive and just as nice so Nate figured that since I had the money stashed away already, we could afford it as a Christmas gift He's so sneaky. :)

Laura W said...

Oh, Becky dear, #2 is coming, ready or not. And really, who is ever ready?!? We all have those mommy moments. Seriously, how do they do such sneaky things?

Emily & Rayden said...

sorry beck! that is pretty funny though. sneaky wy! it happens to all of us at some point! you're a wonderful mama though!! :)

Katie said...

That is a great story!!! We have had plenty of those experiences too. Some how they survive:)

Connie said...

Isn't being a mom fun!?!?!

Liz said...

You have these experiences so that you can't be too flabbergasted when you see the crazy lady living at the Hall house..losing children, raising her voice when she shouln't, not diciplining when she should, and the list goes on. Empathy I think they call it! :)

Noelle and Corey said...

You ARE a supermom! My nephew, Jack, grabbed the iron the other night while I was out of the room for ONE second. It fried his tiny hand. I know how you feel, a little.

The Shill Spill said...

Jake did that at about Wyatt's age too. (He reached in the oven and grabed the heating coil, which was turned on to above 400 degrees.) Yah, that was a fun week of daily trips to the doctors. Although, I have not experienced the medicine thing. But, I am sure that I'll deal with that before my life with young children is over.
Isn't this all a part of being a mom? Doesn't it come with the territory? :)

Danielle said...

Becky...you are scaring me! Only b/c I was just thinking abt. how I really shouldn't wish winter away b/c summer is going to be a NIGHTMARE w/Ty and Crew...they will want to be outside all the time. I'm glad Wyatt's okay!

htasker said...

Blame it on the pregnant belly! I do way too many absent minded things when I'm pregnant. It's amazing kids live to adulthood, isn't it?

Jensons said...

It is true, I firmly believe we are running at half brain capacity while we are pregnant.....and for a few months after. However, those could happen to anybody, kids are crazy fast, and quiet.