I have seen a lot of "true colors" in the last year or so. In tough or unexpected situations, people can choose to become better, stronger, and show their integrity - or they can choose to be bitter, unforgiving, or maybe angry. When things became hard in my family, I had a set of parents who really stepped up to the plate. Not surprising, but always so inspiring. My dad ("Big G") has been on my mind a lot lately. He is such an example of what every man should be. He is always kind and supportive, but has seriously gone beyond the call of duty so many times. When my grandpa started going downhill, there were times that my dad, without hesitation, bathed my grandpa. Lifted him, cleaned him, and so patiently and gently dealt with the oh-so-unpleasant things that happen when people get old. My cousin normally took great care of my grandpa, but when they left town for a week, he came to stay with my parents. My mom was working full time, but dad was off for the summer. My dad completely put his life and his projects on hold so he could spend that week with my grandpa. He was so sweet and loving with my grandparents.... did I mention these are my mom's parents? Not his. He is so compassionate, loving, and patient. His kids love him, and his grand kids adore him. We are so lucky to have such an example of a dad. The older I get, the more I realize how lucky I am - I have the best family in the world.
Tuesday, August 31, 2010
"Big G"
I have seen a lot of "true colors" in the last year or so. In tough or unexpected situations, people can choose to become better, stronger, and show their integrity - or they can choose to be bitter, unforgiving, or maybe angry. When things became hard in my family, I had a set of parents who really stepped up to the plate. Not surprising, but always so inspiring. My dad ("Big G") has been on my mind a lot lately. He is such an example of what every man should be. He is always kind and supportive, but has seriously gone beyond the call of duty so many times. When my grandpa started going downhill, there were times that my dad, without hesitation, bathed my grandpa. Lifted him, cleaned him, and so patiently and gently dealt with the oh-so-unpleasant things that happen when people get old. My cousin normally took great care of my grandpa, but when they left town for a week, he came to stay with my parents. My mom was working full time, but dad was off for the summer. My dad completely put his life and his projects on hold so he could spend that week with my grandpa. He was so sweet and loving with my grandparents.... did I mention these are my mom's parents? Not his. He is so compassionate, loving, and patient. His kids love him, and his grand kids adore him. We are so lucky to have such an example of a dad. The older I get, the more I realize how lucky I am - I have the best family in the world.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Beck- I love your Dad. :) He is a great man. That was such a sweet post you wrote about him. Kind of made me cry because just yesterday I was talking to a friend and her Dad passed away unexpectedly a few weeks ago and she is going through so much. She talks about her Dad like you do yours. It's made me think about how I might take my parents for granted sometimes and I shouldn't because I could lose a parent just as easily as my friend did. Again, this was such a sweet post. :)
Amen sister. I adore your dad. He is so gentle, loving, and kind. I love it when he calls the grand kids his little scamper. I want to be one of his little scampers. love you and your family.
Yeah for Uncle G! I love him too. I do have to say that I think I am his favorite niece :) We really do have the best family, no one can even compare to ours!
AMEN! Such a wonderful man! We are all blessed to have him in the family!
Agreed! Well said.
Post a Comment